I’m not sure about you, but I LOVE our crock pot, it saves me so much time and is a super easy way to cook for the whole family. However it seems to get the most use in winter, but really the summer months when we are out and about is the time when I really need its time saving abilities. So The Mad Butcher asked me to share my favourite summer crock pot meals so easy and nice and light.
Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork - Serves 8
This is a seriously delish and super simple pulled pork recipe with a home made spice mix. Serve it on sliders, tacos or nachos. Spice level is greta for the whole family too.
• 1.8kg pork shoulder - remove the fat
• 2 tablespoons paprika (try smoked paprika for more of that smoked flavor)
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon pepper
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
• 3/4 cup water
• Mix together all of the dried spices and rub into all sides of the pork
• Place vinegar and water in bottom of slow cooker
• Add pork
• Cover and cook on low for 8 hours
• Shred pork and see. If it doesn’t shred super easily it isn’t ready yet.
Caribbean Pulled Chicken - Serves 4
This is so light and tasty and can be used in a number of meals. I like to make it for meal prep and use to top salads for lunches throughout the week.
• 2 skinless chicken
• 1/2 cup crushed canned tomatoes
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 1 capsicum, diced
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• Juice of 1 lime
• 1/2 cup coriander, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon all spice
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
• 3 mangos, diced
• 1/3 cup diced red onion
• Juice of 1/2 lime
Lettuce for lettuce cups
• Place all of the pulled chicken ingredients into your slow cooker and mix. Cook on high for 3 hours.
• While it's cooking, prepare the mango salsa: In a bowl toss together all ingredients and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
• When the chicken is done, shred with two forks and mix into the sauce.
• Serve in lettuce cups, over rice, on a salad or use in nachos, the options are endless.